Re: [OM] First Switzerland installment--one shot on topic

Subject: Re: [OM] First Switzerland installment--one shot on topic
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 12:56:24 -0800
jh writes:

<<Was the tracking of those co-ordinates a feature of each camera or did you
carry a GPS device from which those co-ordinates were obtained?

. . .  Moose's baby Garmin may be more than tad a more accurate

Out in the open like these shots, the i-gotU should be quite accurate, as is a phone. Where the Garmin is much better is under tree cover. Even in redwood forest, it's able to keep track of where it is, when the i-gotU and iPhone generate largely random locations.

but this thing has been bomb proof. One can sync with multiple cams w/o running
down the  cam batteries if the cam(s) has a gps chip.

Until recently, I've been highly unimpressed with the GPS built into cameras. Incredibly slow to make initial location determination, and drawing down batteries too fast. The i-gotU obviously has a smaller battery than the cameras, but runs for many hours.

The Oly TG-4 is somewhat different. There is a utility program that downloads A-GPS data, which really speeds up satellite acquisition. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS>

Unlike cell/wi-fi devices, the data is stored in the camera, and must be updated regularly. Sony and Panny, at least, are also using this technique on newer cameras with GPS.

Oly and Panny, and undoubtedly others, when connected to a smart phone/tablet, can use the GPS data from the other device to geotag images.

I still think the stand-alone GPS unit or a GPX track from a smart device is the most reliable way to geotag with the cameras I have.

Flexible Position Moose