Re: [OM] OT: Scottish weather

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Scottish weather
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 20:28:44 -0400
You might want to re-read this link posted by David Thatcher earlier
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-06/uhlmann-on-power-blackout-in-south-australia/7906844>

It shows how fragile the network is even within a single Australian state... not nationwide. The fragility increases as the amount of renewables increases. This particular report goes to great pains to note that renewables were not the cause but not all believe that
<https://www.aemo.com.au/Media-Centre/-/media/BE174B1732CB4B3ABB74BD507664B270.ashx>

I don't know how big the grid can be before it becomes unpredictable. But I do know that transmitting power across a continent is not free.

Chuck Norcutt