Re: [OM] OT: Scottish weather

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Scottish weather
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 12:14:56 +1030
On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 06:54:02AM -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I think it foolish rather than impressive.  This same wind powered grid
> that provided 100% of electrical demand for a single day could tomorrow
> drop to 2% of electrical demand.  Because of that everyone of these
> existing wind turbines and those yet to come represent duplication of
> existing generating capacity.  That's because power must still be
> produced when the wind doesn't blow.
>
> Why is it that the renewables industry has been allowed to press ahead
> with new solar and wind farms when there is no practical battery/storage
> technology known that can store the surplus power for when the sun
> doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow?  A day of reckoning is coming
> when people finally realize that all of this investment is duplicating
> the existing power generating capacity with no hope of the renewables
> making it on their own... ever.
>
> Chuck Norcutt

Regrettably, this is true, as evidenced late last month in South
Australia.  An iteration of the conservative state government here
privatised all of the power infrastructure. As a direct result we have
no real base load spinning reserve.

This article outlines the failure causes of our statewide blackout on
September 28 this year (and suggests a need for at least some stable
permanent supply that isn't subject to variability of input).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-06/uhlmann-on-power-blackout-in-south-australia/7906844

davidt