Re: [OM] A pastoral scene from the Adirondacks

Subject: Re: [OM] A pastoral scene from the Adirondacks
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 13:20:54 -0700
On 9/4/2016 11:29 AM, ChrisB wrote:
I haven’t heard of Tenniel,

John Tenniel was a rather famous illustrator and cartoonist, whom Dodgson chose to do the illustrations, and gave copious instructions to, so they are far the best known. <http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/resources/background/tenniel-and-his-illustrations/>

but isn’t it amazing how Dodgson created a whole world with “Alice …”

Indeed. Perhaps the tension between inappropriate desire and Victorian manners and restraint opened creative floodgates? There's quite a lot of evidence that his interest in Alice was more, uh, adult, than she knew, but none that he ever tried to act in any inappropriate way, at least beyond the photographs.

He would never have been allowed that sort of contact/relationship with the girls in the US, nor, I suspect later in the UK? I'm sure glad he was. :-)

I’m on a fast Internet connection slowed by my distance from the Access Point.  We’re in
Cornwall, west of St Ives, having driven here from the Quantock Hills in Somerset today; it’s
piddling down with rain and the sea and sky are grey, but it’s relaxing nonetheless.

The first night we camped in ours, I vividly recall waking up to the sound of rain on the roof, and the sense of wonderful peace and happiness in knowing I wouldn't have to go out in it. :-)

Your larger one looks more suited to rainy days than ours, though. OTOH, we encounter almost no rain late spring through fall out here in the 'Murkin West. We did encounter heavy rain this spring, but it was on the trip home, so didn't matter much, although we dropped any idea of stopping for a night or two if we found a nice place along the way.

Travelin' Moose