Re: [OM] A pastoral scene from the Adirondacks

Subject: Re: [OM] A pastoral scene from the Adirondacks
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 10:52:32 -0500
Well, yes, there is the modern Champlain. But there is the historical
Champlain, with the old 1800's locks that in many places still exist. Some
are now alongside the modern canal, used as lock overflows/bypasses. Some
are on parts of the old canal that were abandoned when it was modernized
and the new channel relocated and those are often in the middle of nowhere,
at least not near an active channel.

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You must have been looking in the wrong place
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champlain_Canal>
> It's part of the New York State Canal System
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Canal_System>
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 9/2/2016 9:39 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
>
>> Gorgeous!
>>
>> And it sent me down a rabbit hole hunting for information on the Champlain
>> Canal. I really love old canals and hadn't heard of that one. Very
>> interesting - like the old Erie, parts were widened and modernized, and
>> parts were routed around and abandoned.
>>
>> I'm fascinated by abandoned, dry old locks.  Here's this huge stone
>> structure in the middle of nowhere... and at one point, 12 feet of water
>> ran through it.  We've got the Illinois and Michigan by us. Completely
>> abandoned, although parts have been restored as a linear park. But mostly
>> either dry or shallow and full of stagnant water, algae/duckweed, and
>> overgrowth.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Chuck Norcutt <
>> chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>> <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20707>
>>>
>>> If you view large you'll see the Champlain Canal in the background.  It
>>> joins Lake Champlain to the Hudson River.
>>>
>>> You can also see the Champlain Canal in the background of the Valcour
>>> Fleet plaque as it flows through the village of Whitehall.
>>> <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20699>
>>> --
>>>

>> --

Paul Braun WD9GCO