Re: [OM] A pastoral scene from the Adirondacks

Subject: Re: [OM] A pastoral scene from the Adirondacks
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 12:46:05 -0700
On 9/2/2016 10:57 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
My apology. I guess I'm not modern enough. I interpreted going down a rabbit hole as running into a dead end. Then I thought about it more after your response and realized that it refers to going down an Alice in Wonderland sort of rabbit hole.

I've always had the second understanding, from long before the internet. Alice is, after all, from 1865. One of the little treasures I have from childhood is the 1946 Random House 'Special Editions' of Alice and Looking Glass, with the John Tenniel illustrations, colored by Fritz Kredel.

We saw an exhibit about both Alices, Dodgson and the books at the Morgan in NY last year. A fair amount of interesting stuff, including many different illustrations. Although I did later acquire "Alice's Adventures Underground", which is mostly his original, hand lettered manuscript and his own illustrations, the colored Tenniel illustrations will always be for me the way the books 'should' look - well, the way Wonderland looks. ;-)

One can see how Tenniel worked from Dodgson's original drawings, which gives
his illustrations an extra authenticity.

And, more particularly these days, going down that Alice in Wonderland rabbit hole on the internet with links to everywhere.

Ada in Babbage Land? The Analytical Engine and Ada's notes that first describe in print the idea of programming do precede Alice, but nothing further comes of them until much later.

Thanks for causing me to update myself.

O. S. Update Moose