Re: [OM] A pastoral scene from the Adirondacks

Subject: Re: [OM] A pastoral scene from the Adirondacks
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 11:41:15 -0400
You must have been looking in the wrong place
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champlain_Canal>
It's part of the New York State Canal System
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Canal_System>

Chuck Norcutt

On 9/2/2016 9:39 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
Gorgeous!

And it sent me down a rabbit hole hunting for information on the Champlain
Canal. I really love old canals and hadn't heard of that one. Very
interesting - like the old Erie, parts were widened and modernized, and
parts were routed around and abandoned.

I'm fascinated by abandoned, dry old locks.  Here's this huge stone
structure in the middle of nowhere... and at one point, 12 feet of water
ran through it.  We've got the Illinois and Michigan by us. Completely
abandoned, although parts have been restored as a linear park. But mostly
either dry or shallow and full of stagnant water, algae/duckweed, and
overgrowth.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx