[OM] Dealing with Oly Service

Subject: [OM] Dealing with Oly Service
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 19:32:28 -0400
The E-M1 came back from Oly service yesterday but it's been a strange ride in the interim. I had called Oly service to inquire about the price for sensor cleaning. I was told it was $59 + state sales tax and included return shipping.

When the camera arrived I was notified by email that it was there and had to sign a form authorizing "up to $30" charge on my credit card. I did that but considered the lower than $59 price something strange.

All was quiet for a day or two and then I got an email saying they had performed an inspection and evaluation.

The malady:  "SMUDGES ON BODY CASING"
price: I've forgotten the precise amount but:  About $198.

What! What happened to my request to clean the sensor/SSWF filter for $59. I called the service line again and spoke to a woman who clearly knew nothing. I demanded to speak to the service manager (named Nicole) who called me back later in the day. I demanded to know what "SMUDGES ON BODY CASING" means. I asked her what had happened to my request to just clean the sensor. She had no idea on either count. Said she'd have to confer with a tech in the dept and would call me back. I told her that I felt like an auto owner who had just dropped off his car for an oil and filter change. When he gets home he gets a call telling him his real problem is that he has mud on the tires. They'll be glad to wash it off for $198. But my E-M1 was pretty pristine when I sent it... I knew it didn't have mud on the tires.

Nicole promised to call me back later in the day. She didn't so I called her again the next day. She didn't apologize for not making the call when she said she would. She just said she had to wait until the tech had time to re-examine my camera. Finally she called me back and said, yes, they would clean the sensor for $59 + (some number larger than SC state tax). I questioned her on the tax amount which got her a bit flustered for a moment and then she came back with the right amount. I think she may have been quoting me NYC sales tax. I asked her again about the meaning of "SMUDGES ON BODY CASING" and the $198 price. She didn't want to talk about that and said the $198 price was a fixed diagnosis and repair price. In the end she asked me for credit card approval for the $59 + sales tax repair price previously agreed to.

I agreed and waited a few more days. The camera arrived in fine condition, well packed and with a packing slip that still mentioned the "SMUDGES ON BODY CASING" as the inspection/evaluation with no further comment. But it also said they "cleaned the spots" and to my great surprise "Replaced encoder dial unit". I have no idea what that means but it certainly sounds like a digital encoding switch for aperture/shutter or mode. There was no further comment nor any indication of a charge. But I actually don't know what the actual charge is. It should br $59 + tax but they still haven't charged my credit card.

Things I forgot. You can't ship the battery in the camera. The camera goes for a week or more with no power and forgets all customizations... or perhaps it forgot because they said they installed the latest firmware. It was already installed so no reason for that. Anyhow, I've never made a log of my customizations so I have to go back through all the settings and re-do them.

But the camera does look shiny new and shows no dust at f/22.

ps: They also included a feeler survey about whether I'd be interested in a fixed, relatively low cost for sensor cleaning only. I said yes.

pps:  They should hire John back.

Chuck Norcutt