Re: [OM] E-M1 vs E-M5II

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M1 vs E-M5II
From: Siddiq Siddiqui-Ali <muhammad.siddiqui-ali@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 17:57:56 +0000
Joel, maybe hold off till the fall (Photokina), the Oly rep at the store said
the E-M1 is right about due (based on his time working for them) for an update,
and the rumor mill's saying the same. So you can either get the new shiny, or a
sharp discount on the old shiny.

Oh yes, I drove out an hour when I found a local store had the full gamut of
Olympus gear on display. I hadn't been in a camera store in ages, and was very
pleasantly surprised to see this place (Samy's in Santa Ana), at 4pm on a
Saturday afternoon, was packed, there was a line to see any gear, people were
trying things, purchasing, they had a full rental counter (N/C/S, lights,
video, supporting gear).

I found someone on campus who had the M10II, and had tried it already, so this
trip focussed on the M5II and M1. The larger grip on the M1 made all the
difference for me--easier to hold, more comfortable to handle. I kept finding
the EVF easier to use than the M5II even though on paper they're the same, and
the rep said they have the same magnification and eye relief (I shoot with
glasses).

Just as importantly, learned that the PENs are not for me; couldn't get the
EVFs to activate on my right-eye, and left-eye shooting was very awkward. A
very different style to what I'm used to as well. Good to know.

Nico found the M5II more comfortable, even though her hand and mine are only a
few mm apart in size. I have lanky limbs *and* fingers!

I don't expect to use C-AF--or don't think I willl--so the CDAF benefit of the
M1 is moot (it's for 4/3 lenses or for tracking on m4/3). Still a bit bummed
it's more expensive to rent, considering it's 3 yrs old, but then it's still
the flagship :/

All in all, *very* impressed with the OM-D bodies in general, they really are
tiny, and jewel-like, including the lenses, very much in the same vein as the
OM series. Can't wait to till what September brings!

Siddiq