Re: [OM] E-M1 vs E-M5II

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M1 vs E-M5II
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 21:30:31 -0700
On 5/7/2016 2:25 PM, Siddiq Siddiqui-Ali wrote:
Any current (or former) E-M1 users have thoughts on the E-M5II? I'm thinking of
renting the latter with 12-40/2.8 for a family get-together, and have read
really good things about it, and tried the exact same combo in person.

Mainly my concern is the M1 has phase-detect AF, but older brains. The M5II
only has CDAF,

CDAF is primarily to allow reasonable AF speed with old 4/3 lenses. It may help focus tracking of fast moving things, like sports and wildlife. I don't think focus tracking is for kids among other people? It will have no effect on single AF focus speed between these two bodies with that lens. The M5II will possibly be quicker.

but newer brains. So, what'll it be? The old king or the crown-prince?

If it helps, most of my shooting will be in light-challenged (but not dark)
environs.

I don't think it makes any performance difference, for this project. M5II AF is very fast. It's IS is better, but you're shooting moving targets, so your shutter speeds will be limited by subject movement, not IS. I don't think the ISO performance is noticeably better.

I'd pick the one that's less to rent or that fits your hand and/or fancy better.

What would you do (because I really don't want to rent both bodies)?

I'd use my M5II. :-)

Social Skills Moose