Re: [OM] It'sPi Day!--now Day after Pi Day!-- Mandatory list assignments

Subject: Re: [OM] It'sPi Day!--now Day after Pi Day!-- Mandatory list assignments.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 11:15:36 -0500
>      I recently had the phone go out due to a broken ground wire at that
> first terminal box.  I got into a short conversation with the tech about
> using a TDR, and he showed me the one he carried.  Pretty nice piece of gear,
> slightly larger than a multimeter.  He had tracked down the fault by just
> testing the resistance of the wires and calculating the distance, which was
> pretty sharp.

Yes, the portable ones are pretty handy. But we actually have all of
our offices tied in with remote sense gear and we can do a TDR shot
automatically from the office. Doesn't help if you are served off of a
DLC cabinet, though.

In some parts of the country, we've deployed these
fiberglass/nylon/plastic peds. They are not vented. They are great for
use in low spots where flooding can occur. They function like a diving
bell so there is no water intrusion. More expensive than the steel
ones, though, and they don't hold up to cows either.

AG