Re: [OM] It'sPi Day!--now Day after Pi Day!-- Mandatory list assignments

Subject: Re: [OM] It'sPi Day!--now Day after Pi Day!-- Mandatory list assignments.
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 06:34:52 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     During my first two years of undergraduate school I was a terminal
operator at the York campus, helping other undergrads with whatever problems
they encountered.  It used the telephone lines at a 300 baud rate, and if there
was a significant storm between there and the main campus at University Park
the whole thing would come crashing down.  Similar to 19CL on occasion.

>And that was my first proper job, Chris: operating a 370/135 for Morgan
>Guaranty in the City of London.  I learned quite a bit about computers
>from that job, even though we don’t still talk about IPL or have those
>huge disk and tape drives.  The line printer was pretty large and had a
>sweet spot next to its control buttons where you could play passable
>bongo sounds :-)
>
>I used slide rules, both at school and during flying training.  The
>speed and drift computer (Dalton computer) was a circular slide rule.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson