Re: [OM] It'sPi Day!--now Day after Pi Day!-- Mandatory list assignments

Subject: Re: [OM] It'sPi Day!--now Day after Pi Day!-- Mandatory list assignments.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:59:43 -0500
>      During my first two years of undergraduate school I was a terminal
> operator at the York campus, helping other undergrads with whatever problems
> they encountered.  It used the telephone lines at a 300 baud rate, and if
> there was a significant storm between there and the main campus at University
> Park the whole thing would come crashing down.  Similar to 19CL on occasion.

I was going to say "what's changed"? The fact is that we're still
using the same telephone lines installed sixty years ago. Lot's of
lead-sheathed, air-core, paper-wrap copper feeds out there. We had a
MWB (Moron With Backhoe) take out a multi-thousand pair (I think it
was 6000 pair) main feed that was encased in six inches of concrete in
downtown Lincoln, NE. It took 20 techs working around the clock for
over a week to fix that one. But in Eastern Kentucky, the copper lines
there are pretty new. They keep getting stolen. Seriously. We've lost
over seven miles of copper lines in a single night. We probably
average 500 feet of stolen line every night.

>I used slide rules, both at school and during flying training.  The
>speed and drift computer (Dalton computer) was a circular slide rule.

I have one of those. And know how to use it! Fuel consumption, drift
angles, yada yada...

AG