Re: [OM] I'm a little slow...

Subject: Re: [OM] I'm a little slow...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 14:56:13 -0500
Refurb of what?

Chuck Norcutt

On 3/7/2016 10:01 AM, Don Holbrook wrote:
the refurb is probably cheaper than what you were going to
pay..............mine looks and acts new.

----- Original Message -----From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>To:
Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 11:08:20
-0000 (UTC)Subject: Re: [OM] I'm a little slow...

Of my several cameras the one that gets practically no use is the one that
doesn't support raw. That began to bother me about the TG-860. Along with your
other warnings I began to realize this was not the right camera. I canceled the
order with Adorama. I'll get a TG-4 when I get a better price deal in the
future. Thanks for the warning... it made me think about a more general purpose
camera than simply something that's waterproof.

Chuck Norcutt

On 3/6/2016 7:13 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:> Thanks for the warning. I do remember a post about a bad Oly Tough> camera but didn't recall the model
number. I chose to go with the> TG-860 based on the recommendation in DPReview. The purpose for buying> the camera is to have a waterproof camera to
take on this fishing trip> and also for use in my kayak. I have plenty of other gear to handle dry> weather.>> I'll follow your recommendations
and if the IQ is bad will return it> right away. I can understand lens quality differences but the problems> with DR and artifacts should be a function
of the sensor which should be> the same on both cameras. In any case, if it doesn't do fine in sun or> modest light it will go back. Maybe the TG-4
does better in the noise> department by shooting at F/2 all the time.>> Chuck Norcutt>>> On 3/5/2016 10:56 PM, Moose wrote:>> On
3/5/2016 5:21 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:>>> This morning I got an email from Adorama offering a one day sale on>>> the Olympus To
ugh
   TG-860>>> <http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/point-shoot/tg-860.html>>>> for $199. It doesn't have an f/2 lens or do raw or aperture priority>>> as does its
more expensive brother, the TG-4>>> <http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/point-shoot/tg-4.html>>>> but, I'm treating a good friend to a river/ocean fishing trip in
about>>> 10 days and I have no camera I'm willing to risk on a wet adventure>>> like that. The price was right so I decided to buy one.>>>> I hope you like it. I was deeply
disappointed with the reconditioned>> TG-850 I bought the day after Pearl Harbor Day, 2014. After some modest>> use last summer, it somehow disappeared. I haven't seen it since. Did I>>
actually manage to use it? Unconscious-intentionally? It is lurking>> somewhere, waiting to pop up and annoy me? Only cost $120 +tax, but>> still, IQ was strictly mediocre to poor; not very sharp,
poor DR, lots>> of artifacts at 100%, even at base ISO.. I don't think I got a single>> sho
t ou
t of it that was worth the trouble of taking it. A couple I could>> save, but ... If all one wants is the eq. of 35mm, drugstore processed>> snaps, I suppose it is fine.>>>> And I did post about my disappointment here.>>>> The TG-4 is a whole different proposition. With Raw output, and the>> different lens, IQ is wildly better, C-U/macro is excellent; it's a>> really usable camera. I hope for your sake that either I got a bad>> refurb or the 860 is a lot better. I do recommend that you give it a>> good tryout quickly.>>>>> But before I bought it I downloaded the manual to check it out. I was>>> slightly surprised to see all the features. Eventually I got to Wi-Fi>>> and smartphones and the OI.Share app. It uses the phone to set the>>> time, to run a GPS log, to control and fire the camera remotely and>>> maybe more. Something rang a bell and I brought up the E-M1 manual to>>> discover (rediscover?) that the E-M1 can use this app as well.>>>> It's a good app. Not as slick as the
Pann
  y one, but very capable. I've>> used the WiFi remote control for remote release, shooting longer>> exposures, exposure bracketing, etc. It's nice to set up the camera on
a>> tripod, then sit back, waiting for the light or action you want.>>>>> I probably paid that stuff little heed since my then "smartphone">>> wasn't
very smart. But now my wife and I have iPhones and I'm paying>>> more attention. I'm pleased to see the E-M1 has more function than I>>> thought.>>>> And, now
that you have the 60/2.8 Macro, you can do Focus Stacking>> in-camera. The TG-4 does that for me, and amazingly well, but only macro>> and I'm sure not as good as the E-M1, esp.