[OM] I'm a little slow...

Subject: [OM] I'm a little slow...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 20:21:57 -0500
This morning I got an email from Adorama offering a one day sale on the Olympus Tough TG-860 <http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/point-shoot/tg-860.html> for $199. It doesn't have an f/2 lens or do raw or aperture priority as does its more expensive brother, the TG-4 <http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/point-shoot/tg-4.html> but, I'm treating a good friend to a river/ocean fishing trip in about 10 days and I have no camera I'm willing to risk on a wet adventure like that. The price was right so I decided to buy one.

But before I bought it I downloaded the manual to check it out. I was slightly surprised to see all the features. Eventually I got to Wi-Fi and smartphones and the OI.Share app. It uses the phone to set the time, to run a GPS log, to control and fire the camera remotely and maybe more. Something rang a bell and I brought up the E-M1 manual to discover (rediscover?) that the E-M1 can use this app as well. I probably paid that stuff little heed since my then "smartphone" wasn't very smart. But now my wife and I have iPhones and I'm paying more attention. I'm pleased to see the E-M1 has more function than I thought. I think it even has an interval timer (as does the TG-860) but have to admit that I haven't figured out how to use it yet.

Chuck Norcutt