Re: [OM] Amazon cloud drive

Subject: Re: [OM] Amazon cloud drive
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 09:06:59 -0600
Well, here's the thing.  I had read a review that said the Toshiba drives
were currently on the "really reliable" list.  So, early last year I
ordered a 3tb drive to serve as local backup to the RAID.

And then it failed 4 months later. Toshiba replaced the drive under
warranty, but only with store credit for the Toshiba store.  On the plus
side, the credit I got was enough to buy two of the same drive, so I did.

However, the latest reliability study from Backblaze says that the HSGT
(formerly IBM) drives have the best longevity in their data centers.

But since I'm kinda stuck at the moment with the Toshiba, I'm hoping that I
just had bad luck and got one that was a problem child.  In my experience,
and according to several studies, Seagate drives currently have one of the
highest failure rates. I had two 1Tb drives in use in a media-center
application, and both failed completely within a year.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Paul,
> My local external SATA drive is filling up.  I note that you are using a
> 3TB drive for this purpose.  The reviews are confusing. What drive do you
> recommend?
>
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA
>

> On 3/2/2016 3:04 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
>
>> Well, I have the main library on a RAID on my desk.  I have a 3TB single
>> drive that serves as redundant local backup, plus I use Backblaze as my
>> main Cloud backup.  I'm just looking at Amazon as secondary cloud backup.
>> am definitely NOT one of those "Just run everything from the cloud!!!"
>>   people. If the internet connection goes down, you're SOL.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Leo Wesson <leowesson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> My philosopy as far as the web goes is if you don't pay for it, don't
>>> trust
>>> it.
>>> And that's how I feel about Amazon Cloud, Google, Yahoo....
>>>
>>> I do have a friend who runs an enterprise website hosted on Amazon and he
>>> has been know to not have a website on occasion due to a burp in the
>>> cloud....
>>>
>>> Don't put all your eggs in one cloud!
>>>
>>> Leo Wesson
>>> Photographer/Videographer
>>> 817.733.9157
>>> www.leowesson.com
>>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> >
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> If it's just storage you want with easy access then I can recommend the
>>>>
>>> wire

> --

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie