Re: [OM] IMG: Slow Night

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Slow Night
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:08:03 -0800
On 2/27/2016 1:27 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
I recall the fish & chips you had at The Narrows, and that you liked them.

That's what I thought.

I shall have to do more research, but typically, American fish & chips use
chunks of breaded fish, whereas in the UK, it looks like the whole fish, only
nicely filleted.

At the Narrows, I seem to recall a whole haddock, one side fillet? I know many fried fishy dishes I've had in Maine were haddock fillets. Some mighty tasty, indeed.

There are differences in breading, too. UK seems to be more akin to a light
beer batter, which is my preference.

Portland is a foody town, but we don't eat there much because we keep running into
places that get raved about that leave us cold. Some of the famous diners are that
way. But you're right, if there's a place in Maine for fish & chips, it ought
to be Portland. Maybe one of the food trucks that are taking over down there. We're
almost never there for lunch.

I've eaten well in Portland, but not often. The traffic and parking are off-putting. We did have some excellent fish 'n chips on a wharf with friends who knew where to go. I circled in from the South along the waterfront and one of their kids was working as a parking attendant at the (Hyatt?), so we had valet parking for free. Food was cheap and good, too. :-)

I know I've had good FnC in Bar Harbor, but where? Galyn's? MacKay's? Poor Boy's? I'm sure I've had at least decent at the Thirsty Whale, but there was someplace else right good.

The one drawback of the place we stay on the Island is that only strictly vegan food is allowed inside. And we typically are there for several days when Marilyn isn't there to make or direct me in making, vegan. Last year, she screwed up her schedule, forgot a commitment, and we didn't get to see her at all. So we eat out a lot. :-)

Feed That Moose