Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Aircraft Sighting

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Aircraft Sighting
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 12:08:51 -0000
Not Chinese registry (which is B+digits, I think), Chris, but Canadian.

Curiously, in transit earlier this week, I leafed through January's edition
of "Airliner World" at an airport bookstall, and looked at an article on the
Basler BT-67. It is not just a re-engine, but a re-manufacture of the
airframe, including a lengthened forward fuselage - to counter the lighter
engines - as well as various suites of equipment to suit different markets
(communications fit, armour, metal control surfaces etc). I do not recall
the bottom line cost, but it was of the order of $6-$8million, reductions
available if suitable airframe supplied. As I recall, the Canadian operator
of the "Chinese" aircraft - Kenn Borek Air - was the lead customer, and
operates 7 of them, including those provided to ALCI, the Antarctic
operator.

Look out for the magazine, recommended.
<http://www.airlinerworld.com/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=6407>

Piers