Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Aircraft Sighting

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Aircraft Sighting
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 14:02:18 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Basler (I think) did a similar thing when they rebuilt Cessna Skymasters.
They removed most of the cabin and spliced on the forward portion of a business
jet, reportedly from a Lear Jet.  Then they replaced the rear engine with a
PT-6 or something similar.  Turned out to be quite a versatile aircraft that
could go just about anywhere.

>The fuselage stretch is a brilliant if more expensive idea than usual in
>turboprop conversions. In most, the new engine mounts are just lengthened
>and the nacelle is stretched. The added power of the new engines should make
>the stretch very useful.
>

>>Not Chinese registry (which is B+digits, I think), Chris, but Canadian.
>>
>>Curiously, in transit earlier this week, I leafed through January's edition
>>of "Airliner World" at an airport bookstall, and looked at an article on the
>>Basler BT-67. It is not just a re-engine, but a re-manufacture of the
>>airframe, including a lengthened forward fuselage - to counter the lighter
>>engines - as well as various suites of equipment to suit different markets
>>(communications fit, armour, metal control surfaces etc). I do not recall
>>the bottom line cost, but it was of the order of $6-$8million, reductions
>>available if suitable airframe supplied. As I recall, the Canadian operator
>>of the "Chinese" aircraft - Kenn Borek Air - was the lead customer, and
>>operates 7 of them, including those provided to ALCI, the Antarctic
>>operator.
>>
>>Look out for the magazine, recommended.
>><http://www.airlinerworld.com/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=6407>

Chris