Re: [OM] Tedium [was Two down - Who said it was easy money?]

Subject: Re: [OM] Tedium [was Two down - Who said it was easy money?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 22:13:35 -0700
On 9/16/2015 8:27 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Lordy, haven't we beat this one to death often enough yet?
Obviously not, since you added a few swings with your club.

:-)

Only because of situations like Chuck's rating and sorting. He has perfectly good apps for what he wants to do. But people here keep praising LR to the skies, so he feels he must be missing something. I believe the truth is that your method is a great one for large numbers of images, and you should suggest it to others. But, as it happens, you initially mixed up the method with LR, whereas it can, in fact, be easily used with other programs.

If you hadn't conflated the two, Chuck wouldn't have been concerned, and this

There is no raw conversion until output.
Absolutely untrue! The Raw file is converted into an image in memory each
time it is opened. A Raw file cannot bee seen until it is converted, unless
you are, for example, seeing a lot of green, red and blue monochrome pixels.
It is not WRITTEN OUT until you tell it to produce an output.
Lightroom generates working files edit reference only. These working
files are converted from the raw files during the import process,

As I said ...

but are not used for the final output. When you generate a export, it
converts the file from the raw file all over again.

Which I also said; it converts every time the image is opened in the Develop
module.

You are always working in a dynamic image editing environment which
RARELY, if ever, requires you to even open
up Photoshop.
There you go again, with that "You" that refers to the reader. What you say
is not true for this "you", me. Accurate usage would be "... RARELY, if
ever, requires me to even open up Photoshop."
Moose, you are an oddity.

Not so sure. I don't recall others here writing with that usage. It is simply incorrect English when addressed such a broad, not completely known audience. I object to the assumption that what is true for you - all you can honestly and accurately know - will be true of all readers.

I'm sorry to have included you in the collective, generic, "you". I know that
you are unique, just like
everyone else.

:-)

If you are married to your beloved Photoshop and choose to waste time
opening, converting, editing and saving files on a one-by-one basis,
stick with what you have.
Here the usage of "you" is correct. And I will ...
As "you" are more interested in singular images, not collections of
images, the one off, exception based, hand-crafted methodology is
great for "you". It's like my handcrafting B&W prints.

Indeed. And it can be time consuming and tedious, but I have as yet found no
alternative to get the results I want.

It's great on a one-by-one basis, but stinks in a production environment.

Which is why I object to the "you" usage you use. I am not, have never been,
and hope never to be in such an environment.

Layers are the most powerful, time saving and useful method for the editing
I want to do that I've ever seen.I LUV them!
So, why are you so eager to dis' alternative methods of accomplishing
the same tasks that just might be quicker and just as effective?

I did try to be clear that it's all my personal opinion/experience, as in "I actively hate that model, but that doesn't mean it isn't good for many, many photographers."

I think one thing nobody really knows is how automated my use of PS is. I have lots of standardized Actions (Why, oh why, couldn't Adobe call them "macros", like everybody else?) Opening the Curves tool on a new duplicate of an existing layer, with the name "Curves", for example, is one click. Using the menus is much longer, and even keyboard shortcuts requires two Alt key combinations and doesn't name the new layer. And my fingers know a lot of the keyboard shortcuts that speed things up a lot.

My most used LCE settings are one click and one Enter, if I don't want to change my defaults. Quicker than any slider. When I want to do the same things to several images I record my editing of the first one as an Action, then run it with one click apiece on the rest.

I have no idea about the great PS gurus, but I'll bet my use of PS is much
faster and easier than anyone else here.

I have tried LR, several times, at least a couple quite seriously. and I'll undoubtedly do so again. But so far, I find it frustrating, harder, slower, and in too many cases, without quite the results I'm looking for.

As you know, I really like Lightroom initially, then railed on it for
a year or so when it stunk up the show, but now that it has grown up
more, and is part of the affordable CC package, I'm all good with it
again.

I can see why you, and a great many others, like it. As it happens, I don't. The original sludgy performance is long gone, but the editing model lives on.

The ACR engine is not as good as some of the others (Capture 1,
for example), but is decent enough to accomplish the task and have
become the industry standard.

When I was doing Canon, I found I preferred the ACR default renderings to Canon's own converter defaults. Can't say I clearly prefer ACR color, etc. to Viewer 3; not much difference. But Viewer 3 seems to go ahead with some things, like sharpening, and maybe NR (?) even when I turn them "off". Neither allows disabling the lens' built-in linear distortion correction, which isn't that good on the WA end of some zooms. As a result, PTLens has profiles for both with and without the Oly correction. DXO is also a pretty good converter, and has better than 'stock' lens corrections.

Still Of Opinions Moose