Re: [OM] Tedium [was Two down - Who said it was easy money?]

Subject: Re: [OM] Tedium [was Two down - Who said it was easy money?]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 22:27:32 -0500
> Lordy, haven't we beat this one to death often enough yet?

Obviously not, since you added a few swings with your club.

>> There is no raw conversion until output.
>
> Absolutely untrue! The Raw file is converted into an image in memory each
> time it is opened. A Raw file cannot bee seen until it is converted, unless
> you are, for example, seeing a lot of green, red and blue monochrome pixels.
> It is not WRITTEN OUT until you tell it to produce an output.

Lightroom generates working files edit reference only. These working
files are converted from the raw files during the import process, but
are not used for the final output. When you generate a export, it
converts the file from the raw file all over again.

>> You are always working in a dynamic image editing environment which
>> RARELY, if ever, requires you to even open
>> up Photoshop.
>
> There you go again, with that "You" that refers to the reader. What you say
> is not true for this "you", me. Accurate usage would be "... RARELY, if
> ever, requires me to even open up Photoshop."

Moose, you are an oddity. I'm sorry to have included you in the
collective, generic, "you". I know that you are unique, just like
everyone else.

>> If you are married to your beloved Photoshop and choose to waste time
>> opening, converting, editing and saving files on a one-by-one basis,
>> stick with what you have.
>
> Here the usage of "you" is correct. And I will ...

As "you" are more interested in singular images, not collections of
images, the one off, exception based, hand-crafted methodology is
great for "you". It's like my handcrafting B&W prints. It's great on a
one-by-one basis, but stinks in a production environment.

> Layers are the most powerful, time saving and useful method for the editing
> I want to do that I've ever seen.I LUV them!

So, why are you so eager to dis' alternative methods of accomplishing
the same tasks that just might be quicker and just as effective?

As you know, I really like Lightroom initially, then railed on it for
a year or so when it stunk up the show, but now that it has grown up
more, and is part of the affordable CC package, I'm all good with it
again. The ACR engine is not as good as some of the others (Capture 1,
for example), but is decent enough to accomplish the task and have
become the industry standard.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx