Re: [OM] Monitor Calibration Rabbit Hole (This is very much On Topic)

Subject: Re: [OM] Monitor Calibration Rabbit Hole (This is very much On Topic)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 12:42:26 -0700
On 7/12/2015 10:55 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
.... Now time to make a print. I've always assumed my HP printer with HP ink and HP paper makes good and fairly accurate color. Well, that ain't so... or is it?

Nope, not even close. I believe my HP to make pleasant prints, but not color
accurate.

Seems I can't carry my 24" Dell flat screen into the kitchen to actually compare the colors. Adjust color, make print, adjust color, make print,.... etc. Some 13 prints later I had one you could lay on the counter and you would have a hard time seeing it.

Believe me, this was not a scientific process.  Try it sometime.

I have; tedious, annoying.

AND, it can be a scientific (or at least engineering) process. This is why there are various systems for printer calibration. VueScan may be used, if one has an IT8 target. The colormunki can do it, as can at least several other color management systems.

One makes profiles for each printer/paper/ink combination, and invokes the
appropriate one.

I doubt if my casual printer, an HP OfficeJet 8000, is capable of really top flight prints, but it should be able to be calibrated to pretty decent color accuracy.

Hard Copy Moose