Re: [OM] Monitor Calibration Rabbit Hole (This is very much On Topic)

Subject: Re: [OM] Monitor Calibration Rabbit Hole (This is very much On Topic)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 13:55:15 -0400
I've always considered the color quite accurate but now I have some minor doubts. My wife wanted to go shopping for tile for the kitchen backsplash. She asked if I'd take a picture of the (predominantly) gray quartz counter top (but also speckled throughout with bits of white, black, tan, very pale yellow and browns). To her that meant I'd walk in, take a shapshot in the kitchen and 5 minutes later produce a print that you could lay on the counter and not be able to tell that it was there. Then she'd know if the backsplash tile was right for the countertop.

I did indeed try something like that and disabused myself that it was a simple task in about 3 minutes. Daylight was streaming in from the left rear (patio sliding doors) and tungsten from above... ugly colors. I decided that I needed to use flash and simply overpower the tungsten. Overpowering the tungsten was easy. But the on-camera flash created a huge reflection from the glossy quartz. Time to get the flash off-camera... go find the Canon off-camera flash cord (which also works with Oly) and get a seemingly good color image. Wait. I want to lay this on the counter and not be able to see it. The pattern on the print needs to be exactly the same size as the real pattern. Back to the drawing board. Lay a ruler on the counter to measure off 7" to make a 5x7" print. Get out stepladder to get exactly the right distance for 7" to exactly fill the frame. Take test shot. Hey, it looks great on the screen. Now time to make a print. I've always assumed my HP printer with HP ink and HP paper makes good and fairly accurate color. Well, that ain't so... or is it? Seems I can't carry my 24" Dell flat screen into the kitchen to actually compare the colors. Adjust color, make print, adjust color, make print,.... etc. Some 13 prints later I had one you could lay on the counter and you would have a hard time seeing it.

Believe me, this was not a scientific process.  Try it sometime.

Chuck Norcutt