Re: [OM] Monitor Calibration Rabbit Hole (This is very much On Topic)

Subject: Re: [OM] Monitor Calibration Rabbit Hole (This is very much On Topic)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 15:21:32 -0400
I meant to add that that lesson still stands out very strongly even from 55 years away. :-)

Chuck Norcutt

On 7/13/2015 3:13 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Your comments about life being hard on engineers suddenly transported me
back to highschool and my mechanical drawing class.  I'm not sure how
the teacher found him but he invited a Ford truck engineer into the
class to talk about the importance of mechanical drawing to mechanical
engineering.  While he was speaking, an important question occurred to
me.  I asked him how it was possible to draw in the fuel line running
perhaps a round-about route from fuel tank to engine and, in particular,
how would you determine the length of the fuel line from that drawing?

He got a big smile on his face and said:  When the prototype truck is
being built on the factory floor you go down there with a long piece of
fuel line and then do whatever you must to run and install it from tank
to engine.  When you're done you remove it, stretch it back out and
measure it and mark the length on the drawing.

I felt pretty stupid.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt