Re: [OM] OT: Potential Auto Theft?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Potential Auto Theft?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 07:53:59 -0400
Try searching Google with [  ignition kill switch price  ]

One of the links returned is this which will give you a quick education about the many ways it can be done. To really defeat the determined thief they recommend putting in as many as 3 kill switches.
<http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a9212/thwart-car-thieves-with-a-hidden-kill-switch-15699546/>

The rest of what's returned are links to things you can actually buy. I followed one of the AutoZone links and found a brand/model specific kill switch for a (just my guess) 2000 4 cylinder Tacoma pickup. The problem is there was nothing to indicate how it works or how or where it's to be installed. I suspect you will need to go back to the manufacturer's websites to find installation/usage manuals or else just go to the local store.

If you drive the truck just occasionally it may be sufficient to pull a fuse that controls something critical like the ignition switch or the fuel pump. If a thief tries to jump the ignition and it doesn't easily work he may move on to an easier victim.

I have a 99 Chrysler LHS. When the ignition is off there are still some systems that are powered on and will drain the battery in about 6-8 weeks. One of those systems is the garage door opener. When we were wintering in Florida I had to leave the car for 3 months or more. To keep the battery from dying I needed to disable everything in the car which could be done by removing a single fuse (clearly described in the owner's manual under storage). Doing that also disables the car's garage door opener. That was also important to prevent thieves from breaking into the car and being able to easily get into the house via the garage door. Although the garage was empty of cars I chose to leave the car outside during the winter to discourage mice from building a nest inside the car... something I'd heard of and is definitely to be avoided.

A knowledgeable thief could have stolen the car and broken into the house if he knew the fuse had been removed, had exactly the correct fuse and knew exactly where to place it in the hard-to-find fuse panel. I don't need to do that anymore but it worked for me for 6 years.

Chuck Norcutt