Re: [OM] opinions of the OM 500mm F8.0 reflex lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions of the OM 500mm F8.0 reflex lens?
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:54:03 +0000
Where to get a Questar 700? On ebay of course:

171727252030

121604495476

re: contrast:
>I know that was a big deal in film days. I can't see where it matters
>with digital. Shoot Raw, convert to 16 bit, use
Levels to pull the ends of the histogram out and adjust the midpoint if
needed - - - and there you are, all the efforts,
successes and failures of lens design for contrast are washed away. Add
LCE and Curves and you'd never know it wasn't
taken with a nicely contrasty lens.

Um, no. just expanding the histogram to change the contrast does not
magically recreate the information lost to a low-contrast lens. If only it
were that easy.  A lens with good contrast will always capture more
information than a low-contrast lens. If artificially modifying contrast
was enough, everyone would have been designing low-contrast lenses back in
the day and just using high contrast materials with them (film, paper).
Such is not the case, obviously.

-Ed