Re: [OM] opinions of the OM 500mm F8.0 reflex lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions of the OM 500mm F8.0 reflex lens?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:29:32 -0400
I have posted here <http://www.chucknorcutt.com/MLP/Mirror%20lens%20performance.pdf> what I think are the same data Moose presented except that I have them in a much more readable format. Actually, I'm not sure where I found the original data but laboriously entered it all into a spreadsheet and then produced a PDF from that.

I think if you review the data you'll find not much agreement with what you've said below. The Zuiko actually has quite good resolution and has far superior contrast to all of the other contenders. The Vivitar solid-cats, on the other hand, actually perform quite poorly. They're the lowest on the list in resolution and also very near the bottom of the pack in contrast.

The Questar, Honeywell and Celestron are superior to all the others in resolution but still lag well behind the Zuiko in contrast. They are also quite different animals from the 500/8 lenses. They're proper telescopes and are significantly larger and heavier. And I don't know where you'd actually get a Questar 700/8. The only Questars I've ever seen or heard of are 3.5" or 7" Maksutov telescopes with focal ratios closer to f/15 than f/8. Even the little Questar sells for $5,000 or more. If you really want a 500/8 mirror lens the Zuiko is actually a pretty good choice.

Chuck Norcutt