Re: [OM] Lens Choices

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Choices
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:13:19 -0500
Thanks, Chris.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 4/23/2015 10:52 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
Lenses often seem to be chosen based on the manufacturer and the
opinions of others.  I am going against that path and evaluating a lens
that, from past experience, produces images that _I_ like.

      <<SNIP>>

      I did the same thing years ago after learning that MF film lenses could
be used on my E-500, essentially giving me the digital film pack that I had
hoped would be made available for the OM-1, etc.

      Good quality MF lenses were at bargain prices, and I managed to
accumulate a few in my quest for lenses suitable for field work.  Telephoto
zooms narrowed down to the Vivitar/Tokina TX series 75-260/4.5, which is a bit
heavy but balances well with a pistol grip added, making it convenient for
wildlife stalking.

      There were lots of wide (28 or 35mm) to near telephoto (70 to 90mm) zooms
available, and I narrowed that down to a half dozen, each with it's own
attributes.

      There were some surprises, such as the unknown manufacturers Sun and
Samyang.  The Samyang 100-500/5.6-7.1 with a 2X teleconverter lets me read the
lettering on a powerline transformer almost 1/8 mile away.  Got that with a
leather case at a Goodwill for just $40.

      And there were some lousy ones, the worst being a Soligor 75-250/4.5 with
1:1.8 macro that seemed like a good choice until you cranked the macro all the
way down.  Anything with a hint of red would flare horribly.

      I agree with you entirely, that the final choice comes down to the user,
so go forth and experiment.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson