Re: [OM] File losses

Subject: Re: [OM] File losses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 16:57:43 -0700
On 4/2/2015 3:32 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well, this has been an education, and I'm not sure I'm happy with the result.

Using Novastore, I backed up both drives in my computer to a third drive.

The process seemed stable, and I was desperate to get a backup done
before more data was lost.

It has just finished, after 185 hours 2 minutes = 7.7 days.

And now I find that the data is not all that readily accessible. I "may" try the
considerable  learning curve, but I'm also sure there are simpler systems
which yield a very accessible copy of the saved drive(s)

How do you do it? Find a proprietary system you have to pay for that takes
forever?

Several of us have many times recommended SyncBack for this purpose. I believe most of us use the free version, a couple the least expensive paid version. I myself use the free version all the time, for various back-up and copying purposes. I have never had it fail me. It would be approximately infinitely faster that what you have - unless you have a faulty drive.

What I need after the main, initial, backup, is periodic backups of additional
data only,

Exactly one of the things SyncBack is perfect for! That's how I back up my image HD to an identical one kept in a different place. I KNOW you have recently been exposed to this product and its use, as Chuck and I recently discussed the advantages and disadvantages of back-up vs. syncing for this purpose on the List.

Since you will undoubtedly want to know what that means ... Back-up does what you describe above "... periodic backups of additional data only ..." That means anything you delete on the primary drive remains forever on the back-up. If you move files to a different folder, they are backed up again, and the old folder and contents also remain in the back-up.

Syncing means both copying all new material to the back-up HD, AND deleting
anything there that is no longer on the primary.

I do the former, Chuck does the latter. He claims the ability to get his primary drive just perfect before syncing. I don't trust myself to do that perfectly every time. It is exactly those files that I delete in error that I want to be able to recover. While mostly sharp, I have my foolish moments, and want back-up for dummies.

all in a very accessible form.

SyncBack (and many other back-up solutions) simply makes a copy of files, in the exact same directory structure as the original. Any file browser, including Windoze Explorer, has full, simple access to all the backed-up files. In a browser, the back-up looks like the original.

Not all that easy to obtain, it seems.

Why not pay attention here? And if you have not, just ask!!

This list is full of people who have already dealt with all the photo related computer issues you encounter. They are far more tech savvy than you, have researched and tested - and are happy to hand you the results of that time and effort for free.

So here's a strong suggestion. Go here, download and install SyncBack Free. <http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html>

If there's room on your new drive, create a new full back-up with Sync-Back. Once you have confirmed that it is what you want, simply delete the NovaStor back-up.

Keep the back-up HD in a different, at least safe-ish, place when not in use. Get in the habit of running back-ups, with it set to only copy new files (the default), regularly.

Live happy and safe!

Wake Up and Back Up Moose