Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Oly a little late, a little short

Subject: Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Oly a little late, a little short
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 21:13:13 +0100
Agreed Moose, but can we sum it up in two lines for those of us who actually work ;-)

Amities
Ph

Le 18 mars 15 à 20:43, Moose a écrit :

I got an email flyer for the Oly SH-2, a relatively attractive looking travel zoom. I can see how some listee(s) or other might be tempted by it for a casual , carry everywhere camera.

A quick check showed however that the Panny ZS40 (TZ60) I already have is a better camera. <http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=panasonic_dmczs40&products=oly_sh2 >

Right up front, they are both "good light" cameras, giving up lens speed and low noise for size and amazing zoom range. Each has a puny little flash for social pix.

BIG difference is that the Panny has an EVF. Yes, it's tiny, yes; it's low rez, BUT, it is there and works.

It has the usual advantage of being easily seen in bright light, compared to the LCD. Its 200K dots isn't up to 'real' EVFs, but is better than just allowing accurate framing, which is all that's would be needed as adjunct to the LCD.

What wouldn't be obvious without using it is how hard it is to find and frame subjects accurately at extreme tele FLs using the LCD. I was surprised how difficult I found that in some circumstances. With the EVF, though, it's a little like 'point your finger' and usually easy to find the tiny portion of the visual field I want. Tracking faster moving things at the long end is not easy either way.

Smaller differences, more or less in order of importance as I found them:

1. The Oly doesn't have Aperture and Shutter preferred exposure control, only the extremes of Auto Modes and full Manual. DPR also says "Two bummers include the lack of any dials for adjusting exposure (you must use the four-way controller for everything) and the fact that aperture selection is limited, with the camera opting to use a ND filter rather than a proper lens iris." I'm not sure ND filtration is such a bad idea, to avoid diffraction effects, but should be easily controllable.

2. The Panny is actually a two control dial camera, highly unusual, perhaps unique (?) in this class! In addition to the usual rotating dial on the back that doubles as four way controller switches, it has a control dial around the base of the lens, that may be used for a few things. You might expect I'd use it for aperture or EV. But I work fine with those little combo four way controllers on the back of small cameras. By default in A Mode it controls aperture and one click has it controlling EV.

I found the front lens ring most useful for FL control. The traditional two way switch to set FL on compact cameras becomes rather problematic with a 30x zoom range, as it blasts longer or wider, and I have to jockey back and forth for the framing I want. Being able to quickly dial in a fixed (35 mm eq.) Fl, with clear indicator in the EVF, was really helpful. The Oly doesn't have this second control ring.

3. The Panny allows setting a cap on Auto ISO. Oly has dumber options, either set it yourself or let the camera set it, emphasizing either IQ or speed. I have mine capped at ISO 400, with this tiny sensor. The Auto leans heavily toward lower ISOs.

4. 25-600 mm eq. zoom sure isn't bad, but 24-720 mm is better. :-) As anyone who has looked at my Cabo gallery can see, that long end is wonderful for candid people shots, birds and far away stuff. But a lot of that, like birds, would have been essentially impossible without the EVF. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Mexico/Cabo_2015 >

5. Oly makes a big thing about 5-way IS. The new 5 way IS in the E- M5II is wonderful. OTOH, I have no experience with the SH-2 IS and the Panny has given me great IS results at ridiculous focal lengths. I can't call this one.

6. The Panny LCD is 920K dots, Oly 260K

7. The Oly is a tad heavier, and more importantly for this type of camera, almost 25% thicker.

8. The Panny has GPS, which can be useful, but isn't as useful I one might hope. I don't know why smart phones seem to have such superior GPS performance. They know where they are almost immediately, probably because they are keeping track all the time. But GPS doesn't kill their batteries all that fast. GPS on the three cameras I've had with it is slow to find location and munches the battery. The TZ40 has a feature to keep the GPS tracking where it is for a while when off, so it knows where it is instantly when turned on for a shot. This would be nice, but guess what? It kills the battery WAY quicker than active shooting without it.

Using my iPhone to make a GPS track works better for me. But having it on the camera when needed is nice.

9. Both have Wi-Fi remote control. I have hardly used the Oly version on the E-M5II, but it looks capable at a glance. The Panny version is quite nice. The Oly can geotag images using the smart device GPS when WiFi connected. I'll bet that munches batteries, too.

10. No way yet to compare IQ, but I'm betting they have essentially identical sensors and both have a RAW option, so I'm guessing no practical difference.

Moose d'Opinion

One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.
NO ARCHIVE