Re: [OM] IMG - Weapons from the Past

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG - Weapons from the Past
From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 21:17:57 -0400
The only handgun I have left is black powder - this 1851 Colt Navy rplc...
A seldom-seen "Secret Service" model. [?]

Photo was for the Walt Wayman tribute way-back-when...

You can see it larger here:
http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=32&pic=25

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Thanks, Paul.  I've only tried black powder once, and not a muzzle
> loader.  I have a Winchester 1873 with octagonal barrel that was made for
> black powder cartridges.  It belonged to my grandfather, a horse and mule
> trader, so he probably got it as part of some deal. I found a few
> cartridges and fired it a few times when I was much younger, but decided
> not to push my luck.
>
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA
>
> On 3/18/2015 12:22 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Two of the most popular weapons of the first half of the Twentieth
>>> Century
>>> were made by Smith & Wesson and Colt, and were popular for different
>>> reasons.  The S & W Military and Police Model 1899 (later changed to
>>> Model
>>> 10) was popular with military and police organizations world-wide, and
>>> continued to be used until the introduction of modern automatic weapons
>>> having more firepower.
>>>
>>> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/S+_amp_+W+small.jpg.html
>>>
>>> The Colt Pocket Pistol, M1903 and M1908, was popular for an entirely
>>> different reason.  Its concealed hammer and smooth design was designed
>>> for
>>> concealed carry, with nothing to snag as it was withdrawn from a pocket
>>> or
>>> purse.  It was used by Al Capone and many others of his time and
>>> occupation, but was also issued to General Officers during WWII,
>>> including
>>> Generals Eisenhower, Bradley, Marshall and Patton.
>>>
>>> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Colt+small.jpg.html
>>>
>>> I am fortunate to have a copy of each.
>>>

>>>  Nice shots. I don't have anything that old. At one point, I almost
>> bought
>> one of the Colt blackpowder reissues - thought it was very cool that they
>> kept the same design and picked up with the serial numbers where they left
>> off in the 1800s when they stopped production. Alas, lack of funds....
>>

> --

GIF image