[OM] OT - Firewall problems with new Win 8.1 box (long)

Subject: [OM] OT - Firewall problems with new Win 8.1 box (long)
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:41:13 -0500
Now that I'm (finally) retired and able to spend several months in the Sunshine State, I sprung for a new Dell computer for the outpost. From past experience with Dell products, their software packages (OS plus extras) are pretty well sorted.

So, some background. The computer came with a free subscription to McAfee Live Safe, so I thought all would be well. In short, however, the set up has been nothing but a frustration (some related to 8.1, but that's not the issue). I installed Chrome only to find web pages with adverts would pop up at almost every click (that's what it seemed like). So, I installed Firefox, which has turned out to be much better behaved.

The principal irritant is that every time I click on a site using the https protocol, I get a message that " You have asked Firefox to connect securely to xxx.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure. Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.the connection is untrusted and the certificate." I get similar messages from IE stating that "The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority." Clearly, the issue is browser independent.

Even when I ask to allow a (permanent) exception the same situation occurs when I next access the site. It's got to the point that all sites requiring a login generate this message. For some, such as Yahoo, I am not even allowed to create an exception, so I cannot even login. Other weirdness includes an inability to load photos from Flikr (nor login in) and in some other newsgroups.

What is strange is that I'm visiting sites that I was (or am) able to access without any such problems at work (Chrome+Win7+McAfee), home (Firefox+WinXP+Norton Internet Security) and here (Safari+Ipad).

Options seem to be:
1) disable McAfee (I cannot find any settings to change, though it's apparently managing the Windows firewall)
2) temporarily use just the Windows firewall (no virus protection)
3) install Norton (I believe I can piggy back on my existing licence).

What am I missing? Grateful for any advice or guidance from the computer literate on the list.

Martin