Re: [OM] OT: Recent debate on crop v FF

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Recent debate on crop v FF
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 17:45:50 -0500
Fernandowrites:

<<This is now updated as the E-M5II will
<<<use the same E-M5 16 megapixel sensor without PDAF and not the E-M1
<<sensor with PDAF." - http://tinyurl.com/ku629q9

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What will happen if the rumored E-M5II really does
have 40 MP resolution? Oh my! :-)

Comparative Moose

Yeh,
Seems to me they are milking that sensor (very very nice though it is) for all it is worth. Suspect using the sensor shaker to offset the images and combing them will be nicely implemented. Strikes me as largely identical to using Photoacute in post from multiple shots.

http://www.photoacute.com/

The algorithm is more elegant than merely stacking in photoshop to average out noise. Whether it truly adds back "resolution" per se or really just acutance and more accurate edge placement is not really clear to me. In some situations it seems it might even be able to infer detail above the Nyquist frequency.
Has anyone tried this?  Even if not, what do you think?

I can see it now--Multi-row HDR pano, focus stacked, and resolution enhanced with Photoacute--gives me a headache thinking about it and might take up half a HD.

New generation improved  sensor and fewer parlor tricks please, Mike