Re: [OM] Mega Pixel equivalent of medium format negatives

Subject: Re: [OM] Mega Pixel equivalent of medium format negatives
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 21:32:19 -0800
On 11/5/2014 5:14 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Using Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation for f/9 producing results as good as larger apertures is that the photographic "system" doesn't deliver the maximum that theory would predict at larger apertures.

Have you read the link in Mike's post to Roger's tests at LenRentals? If not, please do so, look at the charts, and images samples, and see if you still agree with what you said above. Then look at the Canon site below.

I doubt that you'd disagree with that. In fact, I think it's your main point.

I prefer to think that my main point is that results always trump theory.

I also agree that measurement trumps theory every time but I still find theory
useful to avoid chasing unlikely results.

Yeah, sure. I do that, then, if possible, I check. It's almost always possible to check with photography. The problem is when the theory is incomplete, or just wrong, or as in the case of diffraction limiting, the effect is way weaker than you think, reading about it and running numbers.

I suppose I should spend some more time studying deconvolution but can't get excited about it. I know it's useful in astronomy but that problem is much more tractable than trying to solve the unknowns of general (especially hand-held) digital photography.

Sheesh! It works! Study is for brain exercise, maybe even fun, when you have nothing more interesting to do. Practice is using it - 'cause it works - 'cause it's useful.

This site describes Canon's implementation in their DPP app <http://web.canon.jp/imaging/dlo/index.html>. Covers all the ground, with purty pichures and charts and LOTS of with/without examples, including several at f22 that are pretty impressive. If those real life examples don't convince you this stuff is real, I guess nothing will.

DxO aims to provide similar benefits for the rest of the pack, specific Point
Spread Functions for each lens and aperture.

Sharper With Moose