Re: [OM] Mega Pixel equivalent of medium format negatives

Subject: Re: [OM] Mega Pixel equivalent of medium format negatives
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 07:47:52 -0500
There's nothing wrong with the theory here. The simplistic theory only considers the maximum that is possible... not the maximum that is likely. As I mentioned with respect to film resolution, the maximum lab measured limit is highly dependent on contrast. The same is true of digital. I expect that the higher dynamic range of the 5D results in higher contrast pixels than the 300D. Thus the effective or real resolution of the 5D is better than the 300D despite its extra pixels.

With respect to a MF digital in competition with a 6x7 film image I suspect you are correct about the digital making a better image with even greater *visible* resolution. But I didn't need to go that far to make my point.

Chuck Norcutt