Re: [OM] Mega Pixel equivalent of medium format negatives

Subject: Re: [OM] Mega Pixel equivalent of medium format negatives
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 13:20:20 -0800
On 11/5/2014 4:49 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
And "pixel level crispness" is not contrast?

No, it's not, at least in the simple sense; see below. I spent some time at this comparison, and I am not unadept in PS. (More adept now than then, but still ...)

I used the tools at my command to optimize/equalize. Shot taken on a clear, beautiful day, direct sun, with high contrast, trees and wires against blue sky, and low, textured asphalt roofing, etc., and highly complex details in various kinds of foliage.

It's easy enough to adjust both global and local contrast. I suppose if I did so only for the smaller sensor, it might win, but when I did it for both, not so much.

If not, what is it?

There was talk about it at the time. Speculation centered on sensor and microlens design, that on the older sensor there was some sort of leakage across sensor boundaries, optical and/or electrical, that subtly diminished differences between adjacent pixels. That could be called something like 'adjacent sensel contrast loss' I suppose, but not of a sort than global contrast adjustment or LCE addresses.

A similar thing might be accutance in film?

Pixel Level Moose