Re: [OM] Mega Pixel equivalent of medium format negatives

Subject: Re: [OM] Mega Pixel equivalent of medium format negatives
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 19:49:45 -0400
Well no , I do not think so.

See my earlier message in which I outlined the sizes of the raw and tiff files generated by three different digital cameras.

The Fuji X-Pro 1 generates a 24.9 RAF [ie, raw] file with an ~16 mp sensor from which I can produce a 94mb 16 bit / ch TIFF file.

The Fuji X-T1 generates a 33.0 RAF file with an ~ 16 mp sensor from which I can produce a 94mb 16 bit / ch TIFF file.

Those two 94 mb TIFF files are generated from two very differently sized raw files even though the sensor ratings of both cameras are the same.

The Olympus E5 produces a 71.5mb 16 bit / ch TIFF file from a 13mb raw file. The E5 sensor is somewhere in the region of 12mp.

The question I originally posed was not the MP size of the TIFF image but instead the MP rating of the sensor required to produce a TIFF image, via a raw file, of a specific size. It is the raw file that is produced by the camera's sensor.

jh