Re: [OM] IMG: Sidewalk Cafe

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sidewalk Cafe
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:35:10 -0700
On 6/28/2014 9:04 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
And I've copied Ken in this regard for several years ;-)

Chris

On 28 Jun 14, at 16:18, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I set mine to a default of daylight WB. It gives me a common starting point
which matches my film scans.

As Moose said. ;-)

Did my post/explanation/samples do any good in showing WHY that's good practice?

As I so often show different results of processing, I was afraid people would just assume the very different looking colors to be a result of post conversion processing. That is NOT the case. All the differences are a result of color temperature and tint settings in camera or selected in ACR by the user.

Most of the conversions shown in ACR screen shots weren't even completed, as I only needed the screen shot to show what it was going to do.

Once one understands that the WB setting DOES affect RAW conversion in all common converters, AG's idea of a common starting point, consistent images out of the converter, as with film, makes perfect sense.

Pedantic Moose