Re: [OM] [OT] Encryption advice

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Encryption advice
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 20:08:02 -0400
On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Chuck Norcutt
<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The bottom line is that TrueCrypt (far from being ugly) is actually a
> beautifully written application.  You can find the source, excecutables and
> documentation on GRC's page above.  Version 7.1a (the last complete version)
> has been running unchanged since Feb 2012.  There's no reason why we
> shouldn't trust it... well, as long as you're not paranoid over the
> possibility of NSA backdoors.  ...

When TrueCrypt was withdrawn from distribution, there was considerable
speculation about the reason. One popular theory was that the project
had been hit with a gov't demand that would damage security for all
users and were legally prohibited from revealing that, so they shut
down much as Lavabit did:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/20/why-did-lavabit-shut-down-snowden-email

I'm inclined to believe that theory because there have been reports
Ed Snowden was using TrueCrypt, but there is no solid evidence
for it.

> I've downloaded it and will try it out.  Thanks, I feel like I'm back on
> track.

>> No advice, but... to read some of the background behind the TrueCrypt
>> decison, you might go through some of the recent articles found by:
>>
>> <http://slashdot.org/index2.pl?fhfilter=truecrypt>

Good suggestion.

An alternative would be to take an older surplus machine, or
buy one at a garage sale, or get a Rasberry Pi (under $100),
put Linux on it, create an encrypted disk with the built-in tools,
and share it to the Windows box with Samba.

For me, that would take a few hours and I'd be confident I
could make the Linux box reasonably secure. If you don't
know Linux it would take much longer and not justify high
confidence.