Re: [OM] [OT] Encryption advice

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Encryption advice
From: "Michael R. Collins" <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 13:23:47 -0400
No advice, but... to read some of the background behind the TrueCrypt decison, you might go through some of the recent articles found by:

<http://slashdot.org/index2.pl?fhfilter=truecrypt>

Michael

On 14-06-27 11:30 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Thanks. Those sound like some pretty nasty "features" for a technology that has been around since probably before Vista. Anyhow, I don't want full disk encryption (especially of the boot drive) for exactly the type of problems that you've mentioned. TrueCrypt and FreeOTFE are able to create a virtual disk which is simply an ordinary file on the OS. I had assumed that BitLocker could do that as well but apparently not. It's limited to real hardware but can do removable drives. That would probably be sufficient but not my preference. So I'll stay away from BitLocker due to price and function if nothing else. I was also sad to note that Symantec PGP doesn't work well either.

Anyone else?

Chuck Norcutt