Re: [OM] [OT] Encryption advice

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Encryption advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 16:21:03 -0400
I read something very brief about Lavibit's shutdown but certainly not the disconcerting detail in the Guardian link below.

But, as I said, I'm not afraid of TrueCrypt because whatever the gummint wants to know about me can be found much easier than looking on my computer.

As to ordinary protection of my financial transactions from people who would like to take my financial assets away from me I've decided to do something simpler than using Linux. I tried several Linux distributions but they all gave me problems in one way or another. They either couldn't print to my Windows printers or couldn't talk over a wireless connection. I'm sure there were simple (like device driver) fixes for these problems but I didn't want to spend the next year becoming a Linux guru in order to get a printer to work.

My solution has been to re-purpose the old Dell WinXP laptop by installing not Linux but Windows 7 and dedicating that old machine to financial transactions. I deal with 2 banks and 2 investment houses and that machine will never ever know of any other than those 4 URLs. I assume it will never get infected with malware since it will never ever visit any other web sites. That may not be true but, if my banks are infected, I think all is lost to me anyhow. I may be naive since it will be running on a Windows LAN but I think I have a better chance of keeping it clean in an environment I'm familiar with. One thing that will help is that it will normally be turned off most of the time. :-)

Chuck Norcutt