Re: [OM] [IMGs] Long lens multi-thread III, IBIS

Subject: Re: [OM] [IMGs] Long lens multi-thread III, IBIS
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 14:48:51 -0700
So Close, Yet So Far Moose writes:

In a thread about the shutter shock fix firmware update and E-P5
size vs. GX7, Mike G. commented on the advantage of the 5 way IBIS of
the Oly.

Coupala things come to mind. Moose has a way of coaxing nice images out of lenses some might not prefer with a combination of good technique and skillful post processing. I have seen him handhold a Sigi CAT lens and come up with a nice image where he had no business doing so.

What, this old thing? ;-) <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2009/Massachusetts&image=_MG_7329cria.jpg>

Notice the nicely placed gull in the 100% crop? <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2009/Massachusetts&image=_MG_7329fpii2.jpg> I wonder if I should reprocess this one; a lot has changed in five years.

Seriously, I'm of the opinion that a lot of people have absorbed some combination of their own experience and received wisdom, much of which either already was or now is, inaccurate.

No, of course not, you can't get decent results hand held with a 600 mm lens. Except, well, if it's a reasonably small, light mirror lens, bright, crisp day, nice high shutter speed, pay attention to how you stand and hold it ...

No, of course not, you can't get decent results with a mirror lens (particularly if not the sainted Oly.). Poor resolution, poor contrast, ring highlights, doubled fine lines. Except ... not always true, depending on lens, subject, etc.

Same view, E-Mx or GX7, 75-300 @ 600 mm eq. would better this.

The sands keep shifting with the IBIS issue. The EM-10 3 axis is said to be nearly as good as the 5 axis in the OMD. Oly commented that the 5 axis in the OMD will still outperform for macro.

And that's where I most found a difference between E-M5 and E-PM2. So far, I've
not seen the same difference with the GX7.

OM4T stabilized on CF tripod trumps 'em all, Mike

As long as the subject doesn't move. :-)

Long View Moose