Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - Train stuff, a people, and a puppy

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - Train stuff, a people, and a puppy
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 08:31:34 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      He has at least a couple of strings of freight cars that are typical of
>> what you would see in
>>reality, such as the sometimes endless strings of chemical tankers and
>>center-flow hoppers.
>
>With my model railroad (packed away in two cardboard boxes for the
>someday that will never come), I always found it cool to simulate real
>life loads. So, I'd weigh down the hopper cars with nuts and bolts to
>get the weight somewhere in scale. The poor engine couldn't tug more
>than a dozen of them. Traction was an issue if I didn't also weigh
>down the engines. But then if the engine was weighed down too much,
>the electric motors didn't have enough torque to budge the thing. So,
>I'd add more engines....

     When I was doing model railroading a long, long time ago, the locomotives
with the diecast bodies had the best weight and traction.  A few had rubber
tyres to improve the traction, but they dried out quickly.  Gearing down the
motors and adding a flywheel would have helped, but I had less than zero
machining ability back then.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson