Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - Train stuff, a people, and a puppy

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - Train stuff, a people, and a puppy
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 10:27:07 -0500
On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >      It boggles my mind to think of the amount of $$ invested in all of
> that rolling stock.  He's certainly dedicated to the art, more than just a
> serious hobby.  I can identify with that in terms of my hobby of restoring
> old bicycles.
>
> It's probably pretty comparable to most of us with our photography.
>
> Pretty much.  Keep in mind that he's got a regular group of guys who come
over to work on the layout - it's really like a private club more than just
a "home" layout.  However, our club layout is also in the basement of one
of our members, and it's nowhere near the size of Dean's.

> What I like about his layout is that it is obviously a "working"
> system instead of being all about the scenery.

The photos are a little misleading at the moment.  It's still a work in
progress.  Now granted, it's most definitely designed for operating
sessions to work like a real railroad in miniature (it's actually modeled
on the prototype railroads in our region), but there will definitely be
full scenery when they finally get "done".  Well, actually, there are very
few model railroads that actually attain "done" status...

But I know what you're saying.  I've been to a couple that are really
nothing more than a loop of track with a siding here and there but with
breathtaking scenery.  I've also been to a couple that had the absolute
best of both.  Like most hobbies, it's whatever your main interest is.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie