[OM] Photo workshops

Subject: [OM] Photo workshops
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 16:10:58 +0100
Wayne asked about the workshops that I undertook, starting in February, as
preparation for my leaving the RAF.  Each was very interesting, each showed me
my limitations and each made me determined to overcome them.

I’ve put a few of the shots from the workshops at:
http://images.threeshoes.biz/Workshops/

They start with a few shots from a portrait workshop, followed by some from a
landscape workshop in Northumberland and finishing with street photography day
in Edinburgh.  You can see from the relative quality of the shots which ones I
found easier and which showed said limitations.  For example, the coastal shots
were by and large pretty good, but the portrait shots probably a little
unimaginative (and I’ve shown the informal photos that I took as well as the
formal).  My worst results arose in the street photo day: I tried manual focus
on my X100S, but failed to check how I had it set and ended up with several
out-of-focus shots like the one of the old soldier.

But they were interesting for me and I’d go back for any of them at the drop of
a hat.  The main attraction is probably the ability to concentrate on
photography with people who were equally interested.  And it helped that the
professional taking the Northumberland workshop, one Sarah Howard, was a
delightful girl.  There’s a shot of her and her boyfriend against a boat in the
little port of Alnmouth.

I’d be happy to read any observations on any of the images, of course.  I will
sort out SmugMug, but its folder system is a little obscure for me.

Chris