[OM] OT tablet question - external storage

Subject: [OM] OT tablet question - external storage
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 16:59:13 -0700
As I said, I ordered a RavPower WD01 WiFi storage thingie at the same time as
the iPad Mini.

It's a multi-purpose device that can act as a WiFi router, act as WiFi storage
using SD cards and USB mass storage
devices, including powering portable HDDs, stream video to mobile devices,
transfer files back and forth between
attached storage and WiFi attached devices and recharge mobile devices from
it's own battery.

It seems everyone else who has one uses it to stream video, often to multiple
devices at once, so I assume that works.
Although it has native apps for iThingies and Android, it may also be operated
via a web browser, so will work with
pretty much anything.

My particular interest is in copying image files from SD cards to a portable
HDD.

It does do what it claims. I can insert an SD card, connect a HDD, and see
files on both in it's app/browser interface.
The file management app is still rather opaque to me, but it appears that:

It will copy files directly from one to the other internally.
Copying only the new day's files, without having to individually select them,
probably isn't happening.

A reviewer on Amazon revealed that the little box runs BusyBox Unix. I was able
to Telnet into it and do a file/device
listing. This looks like it will be the best way to do my copying. Also, it
allows one to start the process and
disconnect, leaving it running, then telnet in to check progress/done.

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about Unix commands.

It looks like the reviewer cleaned off his cards every day. So the copy was
simple, but there was only the one copy on
the HDD, no duplication/backup.

I'm guessing there's a way to create a new directory with the current date and
copy only files with that date to it,
either in a compound command or something akin to a DOS .bat file. That would
make a lot more sense than just one big,
undifferentiated mess of files from many dates and cameras.

I'd certainly like to at least semi-automate the process. In DOS, I could just
have a .bat file for each different camera.

Any hints, links to good reference material, etc. from the Unix mavens here?

U. Clueless Moose