Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:12:00 -0400
I suppose I’m Malthusian-Light. I don’t think we’ll take ourselves all the way
to extinction. But we can get close. I don’t think even another comet strike
would put us all down, unless it breaks the Earth into chunks. My notion is
that the population will continue to expand as long as we have the means to
produce what’s necessary to support it. So far, we have (Ethiopia in the 1970s
notwithstanding.) My problem is with the model that says we have to continue to
produce _for_ expansion, which is the only model we’ve ever lived by in the
history of humankind. I don’t know that it would be possible to substitute
another model based on improving while sustaining. That would mean everyone
agreeing, and I don’t see that happening.

At any rate, even if we do ourselves in utterly, Earth will abide, at least
until the end of time (which, as we know, may or may not exist <g>). Who says
it has to be inhabited by homo sapiens?

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal