Re: [OM] Mirrorless polarizers

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirrorless polarizers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 21:06:39 -0400
I recommended that Don post his test results since, after examining them
myself side-by-side I couldn't see any difference at all in the focus of
the three images.  All 3 are tack sharp despite the fact that the lens
being used is a 4/3 rather than M.4/3 lens on an E-M1. For 4/3 lenses
the E-M1 incorporates phase detect focusing elements in the sensor which
are (by conventional wisdom) befuddled by linear polarizers.  That is
clearly not the case with the E-M1.  On that camera, linear polarizers
clearly work as well as circular polarizers.

I was initially concerned that maybe the test wasn't really valid.
Maybe Don had set up the focus with no polarizer first and then left it
that way as he changed filters.  But that's definitely not true.  In
fact the camera was powered down between filter changes and then
refocused with the filter in place.  All 3 images are tack sharp.

All that said there is a slight difference in exposure between the
images.  I don't know why that is true but don't believe it has anything
to do with filters on an E-M1.  There are no beam splitters in the
E-M1's exposure readings taken directly from the sensor.  Whatever cause
the slight exposure change was not something being tested.

Chuck Norcutt