Re: [OM] Popcorn - was Filters on eBay and elsewhere

Subject: Re: [OM] Popcorn - was Filters on eBay and elsewhere
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:29:57 -0700
On 3/18/2014 8:19 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Aren’t you special. <g> I need subtitles to watch True Detective, and _I’m_ a
> Southerner. But I think it has more to do with tone and frequency rather than
> incomprehensibility. My ears never have fully recovered from four years
> copying code in the Army, motorcycle riding and rock and roll. Some tones and
> frequencies are beginning to drop off, more and more as the years pass. I’m
> almost at the point where it’s time to put the subtitles on for _anything_.
> Not quite, but close.

There's a kind of hearing loss that has to do with the level, kind, frequency
of ambient noise. One example I've heard
of is people whose hearing tests fine, but cannot distinguish voices/words at a
noisy party. There is, of course, a
fancy name for it, which I don't recall.

I've lost some hi-freak hearing, although not as much as I'd have guessed by
now. But in relative quiet, I can hear
incredibly tiny sounds.

I was quite pleased last night watching TV when Carol had trouble with some
words/phrases in a US show that was
perfectly understandable to me. More usually, it's me asking her 'What was
that?'

There's one Brit show (Sherlock?) where the miking is particularly odd, like
some combination of echoy and
distant/muffled, where I often miss whole phrases, but it's reasonably clear to
Carol. She agrees the sound is poor, but
can understand what they are saying. Or at least more than I; she's less
obsessed about the details than I.

It wouldn't matter, if she could watch with subtitles ... TGFIR* There was one
show recently where I just gave up paying
attention, then came back when she was asleep and watched the last 2/3 with
subtitles on. I later asked her about one
point the titles had made clear to me - and she had misunderstood, too. Aha! :-)

Pin Drop Moose

* Thanks God For Instant Rewind