[OM] WiFi storage Swiss Army Knives

Subject: [OM] WiFi storage Swiss Army Knives
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:53:13 -0700
I've been looking at tablets again. What I really think I want is an iPad Mini
Retina, but the lack of extra storage was
a problem. Back when I bought Carol her iPad, I looked into external storage
and there really weren't any mature tech
options.

Things have changed. I found three devices, all for around $45-55 that look to
meet my desires.

All can

- connect to several WiFi devices at once.
- connect to a WiFi source and act as a local network for internet access. (One
even has a wired Ethernet connection.)
- can accommodate both an SDXC card and a USB device, including USB powered
HDD, at once.
- can copy files directly between attached storage devices, back-up SD to HDD,
for example.
- stream content to phones, tablets, etc. or copy data to/from them.
- copy files between WiFi attached devices across different OSs
- contain a biggish battery that can power them for many hours and/or recharge
phones/tablets
- I've certainly missed something(s) else.

Looks like a way to make a tablet sans external storage, like Nexus and Apple,
more practical for a photographer.

The one I'm leaning toward is the RAVPower FileHub.
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQUMZRA/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KUZVNQ9LP7N9>

It has an excellent review profile with a large number of reviews. Quite a few
are excited raves.

The IOGEAR MediaShair Wireless Hub also looks good.
<http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-MediaShair-Wireless-Station-GWFRSDU/dp/B00D7FRQMU/>

Fewer reviews, but also a good profile and the company is paring close
attention to service. Essentially the same
capablities bit for addition of the Ethernet port.

The [ALL In 1] EasyAcc® also looks good in specs, particularly the larger
battery capacity.
<http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc%C2%AE-Wireless-External-Portable-Smartphone/dp/B00CSFCYFY/ref=pd_sim_pc_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=135V2XKA448K0FS8N4A7>

But the review profile is poorer and reviews seem to indicate firm/software
interface is not as mature as the others,
possibly tricky.

(Yes, I have access to cloud storage, much of the time. But when we travel,
often have no or very limited phone and web
access for days at a time.)

Local Cloud Moose